The new year is in full swing. What was your new year’s resolution? Diet? Exercise? Living more green? As you get a jump start on those new year’s resolutions, consider a new year’s resolution that will help improve you from the inside out! Most of us have heard the saying, “There is more happiness in giving than in receiving,” but how many have experienced it? Why not make a New Year’s Resolution to give more this year. This new year resolve to get involved in a local charity, community project, or cause that you are passionate about. It’s a New Year’s resolution that promises happiness for you and is sure to bring happiness to others.
Don’t know where to start? Once you’ve made your New Year resolution to get involved, check out some of my favorite charities. Let me share with you why I love them.
- The Make-A-Wish Foundation of Greater Los Angeles grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions, bringing joy and once in a lifetime experiences possible for children facing the impossible. NorthStar Moving has the great honor to work hand in hand with The Make-A-Wish Foundation and has resulted in a wish come true for us. Working with Make-A-Wish to grant their 7,000th wish we got to meet Claire and making her wish come true became an inspiration for me, Snap Greene!! Find your inspiration by helping make a child’s wish come true this new year.
- Habitat for Humanity of Greater Los Angeles builds and renovates homes making liveable, sustainable and affordable housing available to our communities in need. We had the great opportunity to help move some of these families into their new homes. Watching the faces lit up as they walked into their new homes for the first time was what moving happiness home is all about. We also love Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore project that allows our clients to donate unwanted furniture to be recycled and reupholstered to be used for a new family.
- Claire’s Place Foundation: I just love writing about Claire! She’s my inspiration! Claire shares in our desire to help make this world a better place and Claire’s Place Foundation is dedicated to helping people with Cystic Fibrosis and their families find the support they need. Through Flash Mobs, Fitness Fundraisers and dream trips, Claire’s Place Foundation inspires everyone to live a positive life no matter what the obstacles you face.
- Move for Hunger & LA Regional Food Bank. We had so much fun this holiday season with our Holiday Food Drive “Let’s Send Hunger Packing.” The LA Regional Food Bank was so happy to receive donations and support. With over 1.7 million are at risk for hunger in LA county, 400,000 of those are children. Every little help counts, it only takes $5 to feed a child per day. You can make donations directly or find other ways to contribute year round.
- We have countless favorite charities. Others we encourage you to consider are Global Green, LuParker Project, Clothes off our Back, Kiva.