Insurance Icon When moving, make sure you’re well covered.

It is always a good idea to be insured during a move. A moving company provides valuation protection for goods, which is not full-coverage insurance.

What is valuation?

Valuation refers to how much a moving company pays for belongings that are damaged or lost during a move. Valuation is regulated by the State government for local moves and the Federal government for moves that cross state lines.

All licensed moving companies include basic valuation in the cost of a move, which in California is $.60 per pound per item.

Valuation is based on how much an item weighs, so a one-pound bag of sugar and a one-pound bag of diamonds are valued exactly the same at $.60 in California. If an item is worth more to you than $.60 per pound, you may want to purchase additional valuation. Another option is to have moving insurance.


Where can I find moving insurance?

If you do not have coverage, then we recommend purchasing a policy from a third-party insurance company. We can walk you through this process; just give us a call at (800) ASK-PROS prior to your scheduled move.


Do I need a Certificate of Insurance?

If you are moving to and/or from an office, apartment or condominium building, you may need a Certificate of Insurance. Before your move, make to check with the building manager if a certificate is required. If so, we are happy to provide you with one. Just give us a call at (800) ASK-PROS.

The best insurance is a stellar mover.

Ultimately no amount of insurance can replace the priceless memories saved in those old photographs of your grandparents or your kid’s clay handprint made for your birthday. Choosing a mover with a great reputation is your best bet to protect your precious belongings.

Have questions about valuation or moving insurance?
Do you need a Certificate of Insurance?
Call us at (800) ASK-PROS.